Last Updated on 2020-11-07 by Harry Masterton
When it comes to power tools, the jigsaw provides you with cutting capabilities that other electric saws lack. You can gauge this tool's popularity by the overwhelming selection of models found in today's market. Determining which product is best for your shop and skill level can be intimidating, especially for those who are beginning their woodworking journey.
Included below is a closer look at several jigsaw options, both corded as well as battery-operated cordless jigsaws. It might be beneficial to look at features that influence a jigsaw's performance beforehand, however.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless
- 1.1 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – The Best Corded Jigsaws
- 1.2 Bosch JS470E Jigsaw Video
- 1.3 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Great Value Jigsaws
- 1.4 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Our Cordless Jigsaw Recommendations
- 1.5 Best Cordless Jigsaw Models
- 1.6 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Mid Price Range To Budget
- 1.7 Bosch 18-Volt JSH180B Video
- 1.8 Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – The Final Cut
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless
A jigsaw stands out for its ability to cut curves. It uses a straight and thin blade that reciprocates up and down through the wood. That blade design allows users to turn the jigsaw as it cuts instead of remaining straight like a circular, miter, or table saw blade.
Jigsaws can also begin cutting anywhere that the blade can meet up with the project surface, unlike a bandsaw that needs to start along an outside edge. These power tools are quicker than a scroll saw since he later requires that you disconnect the blade to thread it into interior sections before cutting.
A jigsaw is easy to control when compared to other electric powered saws. The reciprocating blade cuts more slowly than a circular blade that continuously moves through the wood's fibers. It is a safer power tool to cut with since it is easier to control. That is the reason that many people introduce younger woodworkers to a jigsaw as their first hand-held power tool.
Jigsaws have an adjustable base plate that allows them to cut beveled angles on the edge of projects. Using a saw guide with a jigsaw will produce reasonably straight cuts.
If you like our jigsaw reviews corded vs cordless then checkout our complete coverage (constantly updated) of the essential woodworking power tools for your shop with links to reviews for each category.
Jigsaw come in corded or cordless designs and are one of the more inexpensive yet versatile woodworking power tools you can buy for your wood shop so lets take a look at our jigsaw reviews corded vs cordless and make sure you buy the one that best suits your needs now and with a view to the future..
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – The Best Corded Jigsaws
Bosch Power Tools Jig Saws JS470E Corded Top-Handle Jigsaw4.7 out of 5.0 stars
The JS470E makes the list of best corded jigsaw products due to the great list of features that this jigsaw offers. This starts with the additional power that the seven amp electric motor provides. The insulated cover on the aluminum gearbox provides more durability that users will demand from the best professional jigsaw designs.
Bosch JS470E Features
This model also uses stronger materials in its construction. That allows it to withstand rougher treatment that occurs in the construction settings and manufacturing shops. For you, it means that your power tool has the durability expected from the best professional jigsaw.
This jigsaw's higher price point also purchases a more ergonomic handle. The handle is covered with materials that provide extra comfort as well as reduced vibration between the tool and your hands. That should make for a more comfortable operating experience.
Bosch JS470E – Things We Like
- This jigsaw is equipped with a seven amp motor. That will provide plenty of power for most professional and serious hobby woodworking shops;
- The multi-directional blade clamp holds the jigsaw blade securely in place. You should not experience blades coming loose once they are secured;
- It provides you with four orbital-action settings. You can adjust for finer cutting or for more aggressive cuts that save time.
Bosch JS470E – not So Good
- Its multi-directional blade clamp does not accept U-shank jigsaw blades. This is less of an issue for those buying their first jigsaw than it will be for users who have a collection of U-shank blades for another power tool;
- The dust blower has to be switched on to work. This seems like a gimmick feature since keeping the cutline visible is necessary at all times.
Bosch JS470E Jigsaw Video
DEWALT DW331K Jig Saw, Top Handle 6.5-Amp4.7 out of 5.0 stars
You might be looking for a professional-grade jigsaw that offers something different than the Bosch JS470E. Or maybe you’re just a DEWALT fan boy or girl? A recommended alternative that is popular in the North American market is the DW331K from DeWALT.
This model makes the list of best corded jigsaw products based on the solid build. DeWALT uses quality materials for its power tool lines and this item is no exception. Solid metal components are used for the blade clamp and shoe, while durable plastics are used for the housing.
Another reason that this jigsaw is a recommended alternative is the quality of support offered by the manufacturer. DeWALT offers a 90-day money-back guarantee. It also offers one year of free service on top of the three-year limited warranty coverage.
The 6.5-amp motor is a bit smaller than the Bosch design, but it should still provide you with enough speed and torque to get through your projects. Its top handle format also offers an ergonomic shape and covering like the Bosch. You should find it as comfortable to control and to use as you would any other professional-grade jigsaw design.
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Great Value Jigsaws
HYCHIKA Jig Saw 800-3000 SPM with 6 Variable Speeds4.5 out of 5.0 stars
Our best corded jigsaw reviews finishes out with this kit from Hychika. It is included here as the best jigsaw under 100 for the accessories that you get along with the power tool itself. Six blades and a marked ruler guide are included in the hard case with the tool.
HYCHIKA Jig Saw Features
The HYCHIKA Variable 6 Speed Jigsaw provides you with an additional laser guide positioned at the front of the housing. That extra feature helps to keep your blade in-line with your saw line. When combined with the saw guide, the increased accuracy that adds to your work also makes this the best jigsaw under $100 bucks.
This power tool uses copper throughout the motor design. Using copper in the design allows the electric motor to run cooler, helping to improve performance and avoid overheating. It also provides 6.7 amps of power to help cut through most woodshop materials.
You can adjust the variable speed motor for six settings. These controls are marked with easy-to-see numbers and can be adjusted with the thumb knob located along the top of the handle.
HYCHIKA Jigsaw Pros
- You get a lot for the money. This unit comes with an assortment of blades, a scale ruler, and a case to store everything in;
- It comes with a laser guide. This is properly located at the front and will aid in keeping you aligned during the cut;
- There is a lock-on button on the top of the handle. It should line up for easy activation with your thumb.
HYCHIKA Jigsaw Pros Cons
- The blade storage box is a bit flimsy. It will wear out over time and may get in the way of operations if it breaks;
- This Jigsaw is made to a price. That will affect durability as well as comfort during use.
BLACK+DECKER Jig Saw 4-Amp BDEJS4C4.5 out of 5.0 stars
Our review of best corded jigsaw products concludes with this budget-friendly model. Novice woodworkers may appreciate the lower price point as they try to build their power tool collection. This feature is what makes this the best budget jigsaw in these reviews.
BLACK+DECKER BDEJS4C Jig Saw Features
Black + Decker built the BDEJS4C with multiple materials, including impact-resistant plastics. These plastics may not be the most durable, but they do keep this jigsaw lightweight and help to maintain a lower overall price.
A power tool is only as good as the motor running it. This model uses a four amp electric motor to power the reciprocating blade. That will power through most woods used for home projects, as well as other materials when using the proper blade design.
If you are looking for the best budget jigsaw available for your shop, consider this tool and use the extra money on quality jigsaw blades.
BLACK+DECKER BDEJS4C Jig Saw Pros
- This jigsaw can be purchased cheaply. Its small price tag still provides satisfactory power and performance for most beginner and intermediate woodworking projects;
- A lower overall weight makes this corded jigsaw easy to use. You should be able to operate the lightweight power tool for longer periods without fatigue;
- Limited controls help to keep operation simple. These basic features are user-friendly for those who have limited experience with power tools.
BLACK+DECKER BDEJS4C Jig Saw Cons
- The clear plastic blade guard can make it harder to see the cut. Dust and small bits of debris can stick to the inner surface, defeating the purpose behind using clear plastic here;
- Materials used for the controls and housing are cheaper quality. It is designed for a low price point and not for longevity.
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Our Cordless Jigsaw Recommendations
Best Cordless Jigsaw Models
DEWALT DCS334B 20V MAX XR Jig Saw – Jigsaw Only4.8 out of 5.0 stars
Our jigsaw reviews corded vs cordless start with this 20-volt MAX battery-powered jigsaw. The DeWALT 20v MAX product line runs at 18 volts, with 20 volts available under optimal conditions at full charge.
DEWALT DCS334B 20V MAX Features
A key feature with the best professional cordless jigsaw is efficiency. It is part of the XR series, a cordless power tool line that employs brushless motors. The XR jigsaw will provide you with longer runtimes when compared to DeWALT's other models.
Any tool considered to be the best professional cordless jigsaw needs to cut without damaging the wood. This model uses a No-Mar shoe cover over the metal base. It provides smooth movement and protects project surfaces from accidental marks.
Its handle provides a solid grip for most hands. The shape provides a balance between the motor and the battery, allowing you to operate it for long extended periods without fatigue. That can become an issue for larger projects that require a lot of cutting.
It accepts T-shank jigsaw blades that are easy to load into the jaw.
DEWALT DCS334B 20V MAX Pros
- DeWALT uses a brushless motor in this design. This will run more effectively and has fewer parts that can break down over time;
- The ergonomic covering on the handle covers the off-hand position as well. That makes for comfortable two-handed cutting;
- DeWALT's customer service is good. That increases consumer confidence and user experience.
DEWALT DCS334B 20V MAX Cons
- This cordless jigsaw comes at a higher price point. That might be an issue for those working on a tight budget or for those contemplating their first jigsaw;
- It uses metal components with a rough texture. Luckily, the shoe includes a cover to protect your project from scratches.
DEWALT 20V MAX Battery Pack, 3.0-Ah, 2-Pack (DCB230-2)
Recommended for: 20v MAX customers looking for the best buy overall.
The DeWALT DCS334B, the best cordless jigsaw, is sold as the tool only. That means that you will need to buy a battery and charger if your new to the DEWALT power tool range. This product package provides you with two batteries, making it the best buy overall purchase when compared to a single battery offering.4.6 out of 5.0 stars
Each battery gives you 3.0 amp-hours of power. That should allow you to get through most projects with a single charge. With two batteries, you can run your jigsaw while the second battery is charging.
Another consideration that makes this the best buy overall is that the 20v MAX platform covers hundreds of DeWALT power tools. You can use these batteries in other DeWALT tools that accept 20v batteries.
A 20-volt battery indicates the maximum charge that it can hold before use. These batteries will run nominally at 18-volts, a level that still provides plenty of power. The extra potential charge allows them to run longer than a standard 18-volt between, allowing you to run your jigsaw (or another power tool) with less downtime.
The DEWALT 20 Volt Max Batteries are available in a variety of Amperes from 3.0Ah, 4.0Ah, 5.0Ah, 6.0Ah to 8.0Ah.
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – Mid Price Range To Budget
Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion JSH180B Cordless Jig Saw – Bare Tool4.7 out of 5.0 stars
The best cordless jigsaw for many users would be one that is comfortable to use. This 18-volt jigsaw is the best cordless jigsaw under 200 bucks, in part, due to its compact design. The housing is 10-percent smaller than the larger models in this power range.
Bosch 18-Volt JSH180B Features
The Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion JSH180B cordless jigsaw has a handle with an arching curve. That curve promotes a proper hand position, allowing you to control the jigsaw more easily during cuts and lessening stress on the hand.
The built-in electronic protections are another reason that this product is considered the best cordless jigsaw under 200. Bosch includes Electronic Motor Protection (EMP) for the motor and Electronic Cell Protection (ECP) for the battery. These features help to prevent damage from overcharging, overheating and surges in power that would damage other cordless jigsaws.
Speed controls provide adjustments between 0 and 2,700 Strokes Per Minute (SPMs). That allows you more versatile cutting through wood and other materials when using an appropriate blade.
Bosch 18-Volt JSH180B Pros
- This design is smaller than products of similar power. That will make this easier to store and use compared to other 18-volt jigsaw designs;
- It has a dust blower and LED light that runs continuously. This constant keeps your cut line visible and eliminates unnecessary steps from your work;
- The design makes it lighter. This cordless jigsaw is up to 30-percent lighter than 18-volt cordless products from other manufacturers.
Bosch 18-Volt JSH180B Cons
- Your battery may run hot with extended use. Bosch uses ECP technology to prevent overheating, but you will still notice this;
- The front end of the shoe can block your view of the cut. The angle at the front edge of the base may require you to adjust your view to side more than other products.
Bosch 18-Volt JSH180B Video
Bosch SKC181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Starter Kit with (2) 2.0 Ah Batteries and Charger
The best cordless jigsaw products will go through at least one charge on larger woodworking projects, if not more. This starter kit is ideal for someone who is starting their battery-powered tool collection with a Bosch jigsaw (or another power tool).
Each battery rates at 2.0 amp-hours. That is lower than some products, but it should be ample for smaller jigs and projects such as boxes or small furniture.
A smaller battery pack will make the power tool weigh less. That can be advantageous, especially if you are working at an awkward angle. Compact sizes also prevent the battery housing from getting in your way as you work.
Each battery has a large release button that can be pushed with little effort. That makes changing batteries easier. They also plug onto the charger with a simple push.
Battery fuel gauges indicate what the current power level is, allowing you to know when it is time to charge. These batteries also work well in colder weather (four below zero Fahrenheit).
BLACK & DECKER BDCJS20C 20V MAX Jig Saw with Battery & Charger4.3 out of 5.0 stars
The best cordless jigsaw reviews finish with this offering from Black + Decker. Its 20v MAX battery platform makes it the best budget cordless jigsaw with such a low price point.
BLACK & DECKER BDCJS20C Features
The BLACK & DECKER BDCJS20C has an electronic motor that can generate up to 2,500 SPM, a range suitable for most home projects and amateur shops.
This best budget cordless jigsaw is equipped with a dust blower that is mounted at a good angle for keeping air focused at the point of cut. It will keep your cutline more clear from sawdust than other models.
It comes with a battery and a charger, a feature that bare tool (tool only) offerings lack. This is more impressive when you consider the price.
This manufacturer has an established brand name in the North American market. Black + Decker offers various forms of customer support as well as online tools to locate parts and certified repair centers.
BLACK & DECKER BDCJS20C Pros
- This cordless jigsaw is cheap. That can be great for a tight budget as well as someone looking to make their first purchase;
- It accepts both U-shank and T-shank blades. That offers a wider selection of jigsaw blades to use in this model;
- Black + Decker offers a two-year warranty on this design. That is twice as long as other coverage plans from some manufacturers.
BLACK & DECKER BDCJS20C Cons
- The handle has a steep angle to its profile. This can make it uncomfortable for users that are used to operating their jigsaws from directly overhead;
- It weighs more than some of the other cordless products. Its 5.5-pounds of weight will be more noticeable with longer cutting sessions.
Jigsaw Reviews Corded vs Cordless – The Final Cut
The products reviewed above offer plenty of selection for your needs and your budget. The best corded jigsaw products will provide you with the most power consistently, while the best cordless designs offer you mobility through battery power.
Black + Decker's four-amp jigsaw provides woodworkers with an entry-level tool at a budget-friendly price point. It generates plenty of torque for the reciprocating blade to work through most materials you will need to cut.
Bosch's top-handle jigsaw design provides professional-level power that is needed for harder woods. It will make quick work of longer cuts and is comfortable to use. The DeWALT model makes a great alternative should the Bosch design not meet your needs and you already own DEWALT Cordless woodworking power tools
The best selection under $100 goes to Hychika for its six-speed jigsaw kit. Hychika is appearing more and more in our woodworking power tool reviews. Hychika is a direct Chinese import, similar to the TACKlife brand. User reviews and ratings seem to be on par with other budget brands so we’re looking at Hychika to be a disrupter in the woodworking power tool market.
If you own any Hychika power tool let us know in the comments below what you think.
DeWALT offers the best professional-grade cordless jigsaw, and the two x battery pack offering is a great start for the 20v MAX platform.
Bosch offers a similar model that comes in at a slightly lower price tag and a battery kit with compact batteries.
Finally, BLACK + Decker offers a 20v cordless jigsaw that will fit even the tightest woodworking budget.
When we look at any group of woodworking power tools and with a list as diverse as jigsaw reviews corded vs cordless our constant mantra is always stretch you budget and ‘buy up' so that you future proof you purchase. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a budget power tool only to find it doesn't do the job 18 months down the road. As always, think ahead and enjoy your woodworking.