Last Updated on 2020-11-18 by Harry Masterton
Why the Festool Edge Sanding Guide is an absolutely must have for your woodworking shop. And yes, it does make it worth investing in Festool ETS and ETSC 125 range of sanders it’s that good.
The Festool 205316 Edge Sanding Guide for the ETS/ETSC 125 series of Festool Sanders is one of those superbly innovative yet simple products that only Festool themselves would bring to a woodworking hobby shop near you!
Stationary edge sanders are notoriously and prohibitively expensive woodworking power tools. If however your ambitions in the woodworking shop extend to finer woodworking projects then adding an edge sander to your woodworking power tools list is almost a necessity to ensure you achieve fine finishes to your board edges.
Table Of Contents
Festool Edge Sanding Guide Review
Traditional edge sanding with a sandpaper block will give you good results with time and patience. Sanding with a good quality orbital sander will achieve a good finish much faster but the process is fraught with pitfalls.
If you’re sanding an edge with a an orbital sander and you don’t keep it at perfect 90 degree right angles to your surface then you’re all you’re going to achieve is a sanded chamfer as your hand held sander inevitable tilts instead of the perfect edge you were looking for.
Sanding a chamfered edge it’s even more difficult to keep your sanding block or random orbital sander at the correct angle and when you’re trying to sand a veneered, painted or finished edge one slip and you’re suffering from ‘sand through’.
The Festool 205316 Edge Sanding Guide has a ‘soft sanding mode’ specifically for painted and finished edges
The Festool Edge Sanding Guide attachment neatly and quickly eliminates these problems by keeping the orbital sander firmly at the correct angle giving you an accurate and smooth finish quickly and efficiently.
Festool Edge Sanding Guide Features
- Tool free angle adjustment with lock
- Simple and quick sanding disk change with ‘paper-change’
- Hard or soft mode sanding for either fixed angle or sanding to adapt the angle to the project
- Sand edges from 3/16” up to 2 3/8” and sand at angles between 43 to 93 degrees
- Festool Edge Sanding Guide Adjustable Sanding
- Hard mode sanding is used to pre sand cut, routed and rougher edged boards. You will determine the angle that you want to sand at. Soft mode sanding the Festool Edge Sanding Guide adapts automatically and exactly to the surface so there is no ‘sand through’ of painted, filled or finished edges.
Festool Edge Sanding Guide Tool Free Angle Adjustment.
Use the calibrated display to chose and set your required sanding angle or freely ‘copy and lock’ variable angles on your edges.
The Festool Edge Sanding Guide is designed to fit the Festool ETS 125 REQ 5” Random Orbit, the PRO 5 Sanders, the ETSC 125 Cordless Sander.
Festool Edge Sanding Guide – Cordless edge sander ES-ETSC 125 3 1 I-Plus Kit
- Festool Edge Sanding Guide AH-ES-ETS/ETSC positioning aid
- 2 x Festool BP 18V Li 3.1 ERGO-I battery pack
- Festool Rapid Charger TCL 6
- StickFix sanding pad Ø 125 mm (soft-HT)
- Long-life Dust Bag
- Festool Systainer SYS3 M 337 Storage Container
Festool Edge Sanding Guide – Things We Like:
- Eliminates The Need For Laborious Manual Sanding and Expensive Stationary Edge Sanders
- No Tipping, Chamfering Or Sanding Through
- Ideal For Any Edge Whether Course or Painted
- Perfect For Setting Up A Small Woodworking Shop
- Cordless Option Available
Festool Edge Sanding Guide – Not So Good:
- Absolutely Nothing Other Than The Combined Price Of the Festool 205316 and A Compatible Festool ETS 125 Sander. It’s Not Cheap, But Then Innovation and Engineering Of This Standard Rarely Is.
There is absolutely no doubt that Festool have brought a real breakthrough to the woodworking shop with the Festool Edge Sanding Guide and it may very well turn out to be the entry point for many woodworking professionals and serious hobbyist’s introduction to the wonderful world of Festool quality.
We truly believe owning the Festool AH-ES-ETS/ETSC positioning aid and a Festool ETS 125 Sander will revolutionize the way you look at edge sanding from here on in.
No more time wasting laborious manual sanding or tipping your orbital sander trying to hold it steady along an edge. Perfect for the small home woodworking shop where you don’t have the space or budget for a traditional stationary or benchtop edge sander.
The Festool Edge Sanding Guide is highly recommended.